Join the nimble Jack as he dares to climb a magic beanstalk to a giant’s castle in the clouds and teach the resident ogre not to bully other people when the Culver-Stockton College Opera Workshop presents “Jack and the Beanstalk” on April 27-28.
CANTON, Mo. – Join the nimble Jack as he dares to climb a magic beanstalk to a giant’s castle in the clouds and teach the resident ogre not to bully other people when the Culver-Stockton College Opera Workshop presents “Jack and the Beanstalk” on April 27-28.
The opera will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 27 in Merillat Hall in the Robert W. Brown Performing Arts Center, and at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 28 at the Lewis Street Playhouse in downtown Canton. Admission is free. Children are encouraged to bring their parents.
Members of the cast are:
- Madison Palmer (Jack), an English major from Pittsfield, Ill.;
- Nicole Smart (Mother), a music education major from Willow Springs, Mo.;
- Logan Starkey (Storyteller), a musical theater major from Arnold, Mo.;
- Kar’Mel Brewer (Trouble Man), an elementary education major from St. Louis;
- Jonathon Williams (Garden Sprite), a music education major from Mountain View, Mo.;
- Victoria Alumbaugh (Lady Buttercup), a music education major from Neoga, Ill.
- Hali Liles (Giant’s Wife), a musical theatre major from Mountain View, Mo.;
- Matthew Scheuermann (Giant), a theater major from Quincy, Ill.
The C-SC Opera Workshop has joined with John Wood Community College and Quincy University, under the sponsorship of Muddy River Opera Company’s Opera Outreach, to bring “Jack and the Beanstalk” to local schools to promote understanding of and appreciation for opera’s foundational part in all musical theatre. JWCC and QU toured schools in Illinois with their casts in March, and C-SC’s cast will visit Hannibal on April 29 and Palmyra on April 30.
Carol Mathieson, professor emerita of music, directs the C-SC Opera Workshop, and Liles is the assistant director. Connie Phillips designed the stage direction. The production is part of C-SC’s Academic and Cultural Events programming. The Lewis Street Playhouse and C-SC are member organizations of the Canton Area Arts Council, a non-profit organization associated with the Missouri Arts Council and the Missouri Association of Community Arts Agencies. Muddy River Opera Company is a non-profit organization associated with the Illinois Arts Council.
Contact Alyssa Hummel, Director of Communications and Marketing, at email@example.com or 573-288-6000 ext. 6450 for more information.
NOTE: A number that appears immediately after a person’s name (i.e. Jane Doe ’18) is a reference to the year that person earned their bachelor’s degree from Culver-Stockton.