Deliver the Gift of Knowledge
Your English Education major is designed to provide you with a solid foundation in a wide range of diverse literature, literary analysis, critical interpretation and creative expression, preparing you for a rewarding career teaching middle school or high school students. Opening your students’ eyes to wide ranges of literature helps give them a voice in the world. Students who are skilled in reading and communicating will contribute greatly to the world.
The C-SC Difference
One of the distinguishing features of our English Education program is the opportunity to begin your career in the classroom early and often, starting with field experiences your sophomore and junior year. We also coordinate with other departments on campus to help you pursue and professionally prepare for success. For example, you can double major in English Education and Speech and Theatre Education or gain publication experience working with Harmony or Wildcat Wire to gain experience that will help you distinguish yourself from other candidates in the job market. With opportunities to customize your academic experience, you will qualify for a wide range of academic and professional opportunities.
What can I do with an English Education Degree?
3+2 M.Ed. Program
Beyond the Classroom
- Culver-Stockton Student Teaching Organization (CSTO)
- Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society
- A range of travel study courses – recent trips have included Egypt, Spain, Belize/Guatemala, Scotland, Ghana, London and Ireland.
- Classroom observations (freshman through junior years)
- Student teaching (senior year)
- Professional conferences on and off campus
- Harmony, C-SC’s award-winning literary magazine:
- Writing for C-SC’s Wildcat Wire
Information About Our Minors
English majors can also minor in creative writing, which includes an introductory course; seminar-style courses in fiction, poetry and playwriting; and work on Harmony, the campus literary magazine.
Non-English majors can minor in English, which provides an opportunity to pursue your interests and specialization in a variety of courses.